My Furnace Started Rattling: What Does That Mean?
If our furnaces could speak, we would have a much easier time knowing when to repair them and what sort of repairs to schedule. “Hey, psssst! My fan belt is cracked! Get it replaced.”
“You, over here! Did you know my pilot light is failing because of low gas flow? Get somebody on that!”
Sadly, our furnaces can’t speak to us… at least not in words. However, they can speak to us through noises.
When you hear an unusual sound coming from your furnace cabinet or ducts, it usually means there is a repair issue that needs attention. Read on to learn about a common furnace warning noise: rattling.
Possible Reason for Rattling
- Loose parts: The rattling could be caused by loose parts inside the furnace. This could be anything from a loose blower wheel to a loose motor mount. In this case, the rattling would likely be accompanied by a general clanging or banging noise.
- Clogged burners: If the rattling is coming from the burner compartment, it could be due to clogged burners. This can cause the burners to vibrate and make a rattling noise.
- Dirty air filter: A dirty air filter can cause the furnace to work harder than it needs to, which can lead to vibrations and rattling. If you haven’t changed your air filter recently, try replacing it and see if that helps.
- Ductwork issues: Sometimes, the rattling noise you hear is actually coming from the ductwork, not the furnace itself. This could be caused by loose ducts or ducts that are rubbing against each other.
- Mechanical issues: Finally, it’s possible that the rattling is a sign of more serious mechanical issues, such as a damaged blower motor or a faulty fan belt. If you suspect this may be the case, it’s best to call the professionals at Goettl to inspect and repair the furnace.
Do Not Try This at Home!
For your safety and the well-being of your furnace, we advise you to leave all repairs that require opening your furnace’s cabinet to licensed professionals. This is especially true for natural gas-powered furnaces, which present the risk of exposure to toxic and combustible gas. Electric furnaces require caution as well because of the hazard of high-voltage shocks.
Goettl Air Conditioning and Plumbing has worked on furnaces since 1939—we’ve seen every type of furnace, and every type of repair. Trust us to handle your furnace repair the right way, not the easy way.
sadie has a nose for quality.
Smart Sadie Maintenance Program
Introducing Smart Sadie: Your worry-free HVAC and plumbing maintenance solution. Enjoy year-round comfort and prevent costly problems with SmartAC.com sensors. Call us to join today!
- 24/7 Smart Remote Monitoring for AC, Heating & Plumbing
- Routine AC, Heating & Plumbing Maintenance (as needed)
- Emergency Service Priority Scheduling
- No Emergency Evaluation Fees or Trip Charges
- No After-Hours/Holiday Rates
- 10% Discount on Repairs (parts and labor)
- 2-Year Parts and Labor Warranty on Repairs
- Annual $25 Air Filter Purchase Voucher
- $150 Loyalty Credit Sign-Up Bonus & $10 Monthly Credit (applicable to equipment purchases only)
- And more!