What Is a Swamp Cooler?
People have been using water to cool themselves for a long time. In fact, there are artifacts and paintings depicting ancient Egyptians and Romans using wet cloths and porous clay items to cool themselves during warm weather. So how can this help you? If you have wanted an alternative way to cool your home, then a swamp cooler, also known as an evaporative cooler, may be just the system you need for your Vail home.
How Does It Work?
A swamp cooler is a relatively simple system since it doesn’t use any kind of coolant to generate cooler air. The key components of an evaporative cooler are the fan, the water and the saturated pad inside the cooler. The cooling process starts when the cooler’s fan pulls in the dry, warm air from the outside; this air is sucked through a horizontal, saturated pad. As the warm air passes through the cool, wet pad, it loses its heat; the resulting cooler air is then blown into your home. Swamp coolers are not effective in areas where heat is moist, which is why they can be a great option for homes in our area.
Benefits of a Swamp Cooler
There are several benefits to using a swamp cooler in your home:
- Great energy efficiency – swamp coolers can use up to 75% less energy than that of a whole-home air conditioner.
- Very environmentally friendly – not only do swamp coolers use less energy, lowering your carbon footprint, they also do not use any kind of refrigerant.
- Add needed humidity – our climate is very dry and swamp coolers can seamlessly add much-needed moisture to indoor air.
- Don’t need ductwork – swamp coolers don’t distribute the cool air via ductwork; the cool air blows directly from the unit, so you don’t have to worry about installing or maintaining ductwork with this kind of system.
- Continuous fresh air – swamp coolers provide a stream of continuous fresh air, providing excellent ventilation for your home.
If a swamp cooler sounds like it could be a good fit for your home in Vail, call Goettl Good Guys Air Conditioning today and schedule an appointment with one of our experts.