Don’t Let Plumbing Problems Clog Up Your Holiday Gatherings
As we enter the holiday season, many of us are planning to host gatherings with family and friends. You work hard to set the menu and get the house looking just right to keep everyone in a festive mood. But with so many people in your home using faucets, flushing toilets, and keeping the kitchen busy, plumbing problems can be the unwelcome visitor that quickly brings a happy occasion to a screeching halt.
Maintaining clear and clean drains is crucial. When drains become blocked, they can result in unpleasant odors, unsightly water backups (a guaranteed party foul), and potential harm to your property.
A heathy and well-functioning drain system should not back up or drain slowly at any time. When this occurs, it is important to get the drain evaluated by an experienced plumbing professional. The plumber will troubleshoot the drain system and offer solutions to restore the drain system to a healthy state.
Our Goettl plumbing experts offer these tips to keep your pipes—and your party—running smoothly:
- What you put down your drains matters, so avoid pouring grease or cooking oil down the sink as it will solidify and create blockages. Dispose of it in the trash instead. Also, scrape leftover food into the trash before washing dishes. Food particles that go down the drain can accumulate over time and cause blockages.
- Feed your garbage disposal only what it can handle. Very fibrous foods (like celery, artichokes and rhubarb) can get wrapped up in the disposal itself and strain the device until damage is done. Also throw foods that absorb a lot of water, like pasta, beans, and potatoes, in the trash can instead. They can swell up and block your pipes before you know it.
- Be mindful about what you flush down the toilet. Items like wet wipes, paper towels, and hygiene products should always be disposed of in the trash. It’s a good idea to remind your guests of this as well.
- Use mesh screens to catch larger debris and keep them out of your drains. This can significantly reduce the chances of clogs forming.
- Consider installing a water softener if you live in an area with hard water. Hard water can lead to mineral buildup in pipes, which can contribute to clogs.
- Space out the time between showers to about 10 or 15 minutes. This will not only allow your hot water supply to replenish, but it gives your drains an opportunity to clear out. When more people in your household are taking showers, there is a higher chance of hair ending up in your drains. While a typical shower drain can handle a bit of hair, a few extra showers could quickly cause a backup. To prevent this, use a strainer over the drain to help keep drains clear of potential clogs.
- Be proactive with professionals. Catching plumbing problems early on is a big deal in keeping everything flowing smoothly in your home during the holidays. If you see any of the signs we talked about earlier, it’s time to bring in a Goettl plumbing expert. Better yet, consider getting your pipes inspected before you notice any symptoms or have an emergency. Goettl can give your drainage system a checkup, clean things up, and fix anything that needs fixing before it becomes a problem.
And as you prepare for the holiday hoopla, be on the lookout for signs that your pipes might need some attention before your guests arrive:
- Is water taking its sweet time to go down the drain?
- Are your pipes making weird rumbling or gurgling noises?
- Have you noticed sudden changes in water pressure or temperature?
is your home overdue for professional maintenance?
Trust the experts at Goettl to help keep your home in top-notch condition. We’ll ensure that your home operates efficiently, saving you money, and providing you with peace of mind. Let Goettl be your trusted partner in home maintenance. Contact us today!